Summer Squash Casserole with Nuts
Prep 30 mins Cook 40 mins Ready In 1 h 10 mins
- 1 pound summer squash sliced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup pecans chopped
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add squash, and cook until tender. Drain well.
- Place squash in a large mixing bowl. Add butter, reserving 1/2 tablespoon, to the squash and mash well. Mix bell pepper, sugar, onion, egg, mayonnaise, salt and pepper, cheese and nuts to the mixture.
- Transfer the mixture to a 1-quart casserole dish. Top with bread crumbs. Dot with the reserved butter.Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 35 to 40 minutes.